Monday 30 April 2012

On the Road to a New Life

I don't know about you, but I loathe self-help books.  I don't think much of 'team building' exercises either, but every once in a while you see something that just goes click in your head.  That little light bulb flickers on and you are changed forever!

My Edison moment took place in the late 1990's.  I was driving the 500 mile trip to my parents' house near Chicago via I-70.   It's a long drive through some of the flattest country you can imagine, pretty tedious.  Near Saint Charles, Missouri, I started to read the huge billboard signs that ran along the side of the road.  Some were advertisements but some had 'inspirational' messages on them.  You know the sort, 'When life gives you lemons', etc, etc, etc.  

I was busy grumbling under my breath at this horrible tripe and how dare they blight the countryside with these awful billboards when I read this:

"If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on getting what you've always got."
                                                                                       W. L. Bateman

CLICK!  I suppose it was just that time of my life. We all have them, a time to re-evaluate, to decide how we want to live our lives.   I hadn't been happy for a very long time and I had to decide what I was going to do about it.  This quote on that sign on that particular day told me exactly what I had to do.... I was truly on the road to a new life! 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment